Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Some reflection on Peaceful Coexistance


Sean asked  I'm liberal, and gay. Even though I support the rights of Muslims and everyone else, I find it difficult to be myself around my Muslim acquaintances. Actually, I feel this issue with anyone religious in general. I'm afraid that even though they say they support equal rights, they're silently praying for me, or believing that I'm going to one day "come to my senses," or that "god loves me anyway, despite my flaw."

Each of those sentiments, while well-intentioned, actually deprive me of agency. It's as if you're denying a part of my very being and instead giving me pity and sympathy while paying lip service to equal rights.

I wish I could have an honest face to face discussion with a Muslim, or Christian for that matter, about this. It would help me understand, and hopefully feel less threatened by religious thought.

Peaceful coexistence is one thing. But going further than tolerance- to radical celebration of our individuality, including nonbinary gender identity and alternate sexual orientations- ought to be a societal goal.





Dear Sean, I am a Muslim. I work with and went to school with a Gays. I have Gay neighbours.  I will never impose my religion on you nor should I have Muslim standard expectation when you are not a Muslim. In Islam the biggest sin I commit is an association of partners with Allah and not being gay. In the Quran Allah says He Does not forgive association of partners with Him but can forgives anything after that  for whom He wills. He knows the wisdom. As Muslim, I have friends that are non-Muslims who do associate partners with Allah, I care about them they care about me. We have good relationships. I am not to judge them. It is only blessings of Allah that I am Muslim. My responsibility are to embody Islamic teaching and to share Islamic teaching with wisdom. The Quranic implementations are for those who chose to be Muslims. If you read the Quran the topic of same sex relationship is approached rationally and with respectful dialogue and reasoning. As Muslim, I  believe in my faith. I will approach the same way to have a discussion with a gay person the same way I will discuss association of partners in worship with non-Muslims. My first priority discussion would be about the oneness of God--that is more important over anything. I will never discriminate you, treat you any differently, or disrespect you. If we ever disagree, we can agree to disagree. I will not reject you or hate you as a person. Whom am I to do that. The Quran commands me to reciprocate good with good. As a gay person, you can have some amazing manners when it comes to disposition and character even better than some Muslims. So are there some non-Muslims who have great qualities in character. The messenger (peace and blessings be upon him) of Allah said, the best of you in noble character before becoming Muslims are the best of you in noble after becoming Muslims with comprehension. I am sorry but a lot of Muslims lack knowledge and comprehension in Islam. Allah also said you can never guide the ones you love, but is Allah that guides. One can still love loved ones while disagreeing with them and they remain misguided. Allah knows best. When you said "Actually, I feel this issue with anyone religious in general. I'm afraid that even though they say they support equal rights, they're silently praying for me, or believing that I'm going to one day "come to my senses," or that "god loves me anyway, despite my flaw." A ,muslim could be praying for any non-Muslim the same way who associates partners with Allah-- be they Christian, Buddhist, or Atheist etc. In the same way you could be praying for me, or Christian person could be praying for me. I prefer prayers than violence and hate. We will all be judged by God on the Day of Judgment. We have common interest now to fight for justice. As Muslims we are here for religious freedom some of us. We are for equal protection and we are not to impose our faith on others. Allah says in the Quran: “There shall be no compulsion in [acceptance of] the religion. The right course has become clear from the wrong. So whoever disbelieves in Taghut and believes in Allah has grasped the most trustworthy handhold with no break in it. And Allah is Hearing and Knowing.”(Chapter (2) sūrat l-baqarah (The Cow) verse
56)
One time the messenger of Allah was told why don't we negotiate worship of God? We do exchange the non-Muslims proposed, sometimes we worship your God sometimes your worship our Gods. Then a powerful chapter of the Quran was revealed. Surah Al-Kafiroon:
In the name of Allah, the Beneficent, the Merciful
Say (O Muhammad (SAW) to these Mushrikûn and Kâfirûn): "O Al-Kâfirûn (disbelievers in Allâh, in His Oneness, in His Angels, in His Books, in His Messengers, in the Day of Resurrection, and in Al-Qadar)! (1) "I worship not that which you worship, (2) "Nor will you worship that which I worship. (3) "And I shall not worship that which you are worshipping. (4) "Nor will you worship that which I worship. (5) "To you be your religion, and to me my religion (Islâmic Monotheism)." (6)


Reference: discussions under Omar Sulaiman post of facebook
https://www.facebook.com/imamomarsuleiman/#
 to respect privacy names are obscured

No comments:

Post a Comment